Subject: Re: weekend assignment response
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 15 Apr 97 22:18:40 EDT

<<<Well, I never do assignment jobs, I hate that! But for once, let it
go...>>>>>>

OK Oddman my friend, but I do assignment work as people pay me astronomical
amounts of money to do my thing that I enjoy producing what I want for them.
That then allows me to do the things from my heart much like yourself! :)

<<<I don't think you need an M6 with a Noctilux or a 35mm Summilux
(aspherical?)>>>>

Naw just a plain old Summilux that is beat all to hell from wear and tear of the
years in use. :) The only thing I have left of the lens shade is the inner part
that attaches to the lens, the rest was so badly beat out of shape I threw it
away. :) And I don't use filters anyway so who cares.:)

<<<I think it is reasonable to avoid any  T-Max film, as there are no good
developer yet!!!>>>>>>

I guess I have to disagree with you on this one, as t-max 100 and 400 are quite
incredibly good films with t-max developer. However let me clarify that when the
film was first available, I thought it was terrible as I developed it with the
same handling routine of tri-x and other B&W films. Then I learned that with
t-max developer and vigorous agition in the first 15 seconds and the same
agitation at each 30 seconds I was able to produce 16X20 prints of a quality
acceptable for the National Art Gallery of Canada to hang as an exhibition.
Which in itself is no mean feat, as it is the National Gallery of the country
and a world reknowned gallery. And if th wuality isn'there, you don't get hung.

However back to the point. If you do not expose right on the mark and I have
found indoors the 400 should be rated at 800 for best results and develop the
film at higher temperatures, 75 degrees is an absolute as far as I'm concerned
for quality, if you are using t-max developer. Simply because the developer has
a very low viscosity and if you use it at 68 the developer doesn't adher to the
film for the best effect on the emulsion.

I used some D76 before T-max developer was available and I was definatly not
pleased, but using the T-max developer and it produces quite excellent
negatives.

<<<I think you have to select film according to the light conditions.>>>

Quite correct and I realized after I sent "my choice of film" I was too hasty
and if it had of been a "real time paying assignment" I probably would have gone
with T-max 400 rated at 800.  So I conceed this point to you. :)

<<Using a Leica with a good lens is no guarantee for good results!>>>

Very true, as it still comes down the guy or gal holding the camera and reacting
to the moment. But what the Leica glass does in available light, rarely do you
see the same results from other manufacturers lenses. Again in my humble opinion
of 45 years as a working photojournalist and 35 years a Leica user.  (as well as
Nikon, Canon, Rollie, Hasselblad and a few others I've forgotten.:)

<<<I use some basic principles and simple methods, and if I keep to them, I
always get good results. I don't like to complicate my life as photographer.

aaaaaaaahh my friend right on! A fine principal indeed. There is one word that
fits so many aspects of photography from equipment, composition, to processing
and the final product and that word is:   "KISS! Keep it simple stupid!" or as I
prefer when I'm giving a lecture to a women's group, "Keep it simple
sweetheart!" :)

Simplisity is the success of many of the great photographs and art of our time
and unfortunately there are those who get all hung-up with details, numbers, f
stops, lenses, etc ad infinitum, that by the time they have all this figured out
and tested, the world and the moment has passed them by.

And that is one of the main reasons I don't have and never have had too much
time for things and people who are wired on technology instead of the split
second of time in capturing the image!

I'm also the first to admit, that if I were a bit more into technology I could
well have been producing a better print or transparency, but that would not have
improved my ability of eye! :)

<<If I have time, I do the darkroom work myself.>>>>

I love it, as to me that is just as importatnt as pressing the shutter release.

<<<< Printing is a profession BTW, photography is another.>>>>>

Beautiful and a side of you I have not seen previously and I enjoyed  this post,
most interesting as I see many photography qualities we share mon ami. :)

<<<When I am exposing, I mask certain zones or add exposure on others, using
different apertures, filters and gradations. This is an art.>>>>>

Printing truly is an art and many do not appreciate the "fine art" of printing
to pull the maximum from the negative they created.

<<<. For the seniors I'd rather use sepia. That will conserve the prints for the
descendants as well.>>>>>

An excellant idea! :) And one I'll keep in mind when I start a project I've been
commissioned to do on seniors starting in September.

Apart from the amount of work in the darkroom that you would do we are probably
not that far off from the same ideals for the assignmnet and end result.
Certainly you have given an insight to an assignment that will certainly give
others food for thought, if and when they might shoot something along these
lines.  And that was the reason for me presenting the "assignment what would you
use" idea.

I felt there is lots more to be learned in this LUGNUT group than how many
widgets a summicron has over summarit or whatever.  If we own all the Leica
things built, but don't have a clue how to use it, truly what is the reason for
having it?  Apart from showing off a material worth?

Surely that isn't why we are photographers! :)  Didn't we get in to this
wonderful hobby/profession to capture moments of time and to feel really good
about a captured image?

Thank you Oddmund for a very insightful contribution and I know many will learn
not only from yours, but also from the others who have submitted their approach
to this simple assignment.

ted Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant