Subject: Re: Cassettes, coloring
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 20:11:42 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:

> Does anyone know how to chemically turn brass dull black?  The original
> finish on these is paint, and is subject to wear ( and fun loving camera
> nuts like me ).

Frank,

I don't know how.  The following site tells how to turn copper/brass
brown or green:

http://protection.copper.org/apply_finishes.htm

One of the references at that site may have more information.

This site also looks interesting:

http://atlas.unm.edu/smith/metal5.faq.html

and its parent directory:

http://atlas.unm.edu/smith/

One other thought, I believe that model railroad buffs either paint or
color brass models of engines.  So a trip or call to a model shop might
be another source.

Best regards, Dennis

- --
Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown