Subject: M6 Rangefinder Repair
From: edwardk9@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Edward Kowaleski)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 20:11:20 -0400 (EDT)

I bought a M6 (#1665XXX) in May of 1985 in Germany.  I think the camera
had just been introducted the prior October and they were hard to get.
I've used it extensively and I do not feel it owes me a lot.  However the
camera was not dropped, beat to death, or used to the point that the film
advance was worn down.

Recently I noticed a darkening of the prism inside the rangefinder viewer.
I sent the camera  to Leitz who advised me that they would replace the
rangefinder (which they sat was "de-cemented")
with a rebuilt unit at a special price and will check and adjust for good
working order for #124.70 in Labor and $459.20 in parts, or a total of
$596.  I'm not ready to turn the camera into a small boat anchor but the
$596 sounds like a real stick in the nose.  Do I have any options?  Are
there reputable people out there that can do this sort of repair?  Any
advice would be appreciated.

Ed Kowaleski