Subject: Fw: Leica Still Makes Good Cameras
From: "John Barnabas" <john@ucs.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 13:44:48 -0700

Chuck Albertson & Robert Brummett replied to dropped lens query:

> > No worries. Even with the aperture ring cranked wide open, the
diaphragm blades of my Summicron intrude a bit as well.
>Same here, Richard. Can't really estimate extent of "intrusion" but looks
to be around 3mm at least. I think you got a reprieve.

I pulled out all my Summicron Ms and saw no such intrusion of the
diaphragm.  The 35s are a bit old (17XXX & 20XXX), but the collapsible 50s
are much older.  All have had their share of wacks over time.

Lager III and his current History II books have a couple of good views of
earlier 35/2s wide open with no sign of the iris blades.  Robert's 3mm
intrusion seems rather high for a lens the diameter of the 35/2, so I'm
wondering if Richard & company have late Summicrons and this intrusion is
the way they are?

 Regards,

John Barnabas
 john@ucs.com