Subject: Re: Message VS Medium--It Ain't the Camera
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 23:26:09 +0200

Paul Schliesser wrote:

>Smith studied photography at Notre Dame, on a scholarship, after working
>on the staff of a small-town newspaper in his teens (see Smith's
>biographical essay in _W. Eugene Smith: His Photographs and Notes_).

Gene and I came to know each other while we worked together in =
Minamata, Japan, sometime in the early 70=B4s. We were both doing the =
story about how the Japanese company Chisso dumped mercury into the =
sea and thereby poisoned hundreds of people.

Gene never mentioned his scholarship, but he used to say how he every =
day learned new things about photography.

BTW, it was probably the Minamata story that killed Gene. He never =
really recovered from the beating he received from one of the company =
guards.

Paul, you also mention that Capa assisted other photographers and =
that HCB studied art. Well, that most likely helped them to become =
great photographers. Did I ever say that knowledge is a bad thing? Of =
course we all need dicipline, training and practice to excell in our =
choosen profession, but I insist that without talent, no education - =
formal or not - can make you really great.

>If you are passionate about photography, why wouldn't you want to learn
>about it, and if you did, how would that be bad? And who is there who
>would not benefit from knowing more about their chosen field, no matter
>how good they are?

I couldn=B4t agree with you more, Paul! And that=B4s why I after 34 =
years in the racket still is an eager and curious student of our =
masters and of photography in general. And this Users Group has =
certainly given me additional knowledge about the perfect tool of our =
trade - the Leica.

Claes Bjerner