Subject: Re: Message VS Medium--It Ain't the Camera
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 01:09:30 -0400

>Stephen, could you please elaborate a little on "classes/film/paper". And
>guys like Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa, Richard Avedon and W.Eugene
>Smith - what Photography Schools did they ever go to? Can you name one
>single really great photographer in the World who received a formal
>theoretical education in photography?

>Talent is something you either have, or you don=B4t have. You can=B4t =
just learn it!

Claes,

Smith studied photography at Notre Dame, on a scholarship, after =
working on the staff of a small-town newspaper in his teens (see =
Smith's biographical essay in _W. Eugene Smith: His Photographs and =
Notes_).

Capa spent his early career doing darkroom work for other =
photographers and working in photo agency offices before he was ever =
allowed to go out on an assignment. Working as an apprentice in your =
chosen field is not all that different from going to school. He =
studied journalism, and I think (but I'm not sure) that he also =
studied filmmaking. Going away to school was what got him out of =
Hungary (see _Robert Capa_ by Richard Whelan).

Cartier-Bresson studied art. Art theory, such as the study of form =
and composition, would be equally valid for drawing, painting or =
photography. He considers himself an artist who happens to use a =
camera. I think he's doing more drawing these days than he is =
photography. (Look at almost anything on Cartier-Bresson).

I don't know where the idea comes from that the arts are all =
touchy-feely and that you either are or are not born with the ability =
to do them. Producing any form of _good_ art is hard work. If it =
wasn't, everyone would do it and it would have no value. Yes, you =
need talent, but you also need discipline _and_ training _and_ =
experience. It's an utter waste to have raw talent and not have =
enough sophistication and training to be able to use it.

To be a good writer you need to learn spelling, composition and =
grammar before you can write a novel that anyone would want to read. =
Simply having a gift for storytelling won't do you any good if you =
can't orgainize your thoughts and put them on paper in a form that =
someone else can read and understand. Great works of art don't just =
happen.

There is bad work being done in every field by people who either have =
talent but no training, or training but no talent. You don't =
necessarily need formal training, but you need some form of training =
even if it's teaching yourself through trial and error, or through =
reading and by studying other people's work. Why be content to squat =
in the dirt when there are giants whose shoulders we can stand on?

If you are passionate about photography, why wouldn't you want to =
learn about it, and if you did, how would that be bad? And who is =
there who would not benefit from knowing more about their chosen =
field, no matter how good they are?

- - Paul