Subject: Siege Mentality
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 22:35:33 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

Something different today.  There was an escape from a local correctional
facility.  The perpretrator (perp for short) was incarcerated for assault
and in possession of a deadly weapon (legalese for gun).  Well, our
youngest daughter finished her part in the local elementary school play and
we all went home together.  I left my partner working in the office.
Someone's gotta work - better it is my partner than me.  Anyway, the school
wouldn't let any of the other kids home without them being picked up by
their parents.  Helicopters (counted 4) flying around all afternoon and now
tonight.  Police cars everywhere.  The doughnut shops are empty.  I hope
the helicopters don't collide up there.  Evidently the evening news
indicated the guy broke into three houses in our immediate area, changed
clothes, got food and then beat a woman up with a brick.  Not a good night.
 She's in the hospital but will do well.

I've got the kids home, house locked, outside lights on, dogs well fed and
have a baseball bat and a loaded Glock (sorry for all the anti-gunners out
there).  Sometimes your second ammendment rights seem more important at
times like this.

Hope to get some sleep and get back to normal tomorrow morning with patient
care again.  One patient cancelled out tonight due to this problem.
Fortunately its not quite as bad as flooding or tornados.

I'll keep in touch.

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA