Subject: Save the Summar!
From: Steve <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 10:55:30 -0700

> >>As some of you have read, I recently got a 1932 Leica Standard.  It works
> fine too.  The lens that was attached to it was a Summar 50mm f2.0 with
> some scratches and no coating.  I am looking for a good 50mm collapsible
> lens for my "new" Lei ca that is affordable.  I do't care if Lei ca made a
> zillion of them.  It will be a user lens.<<

Have you shot with the Summar?  Why not try it in both B/W and color?

If you read the literature,  practically all authors will downgrade the
Summar.
Believing what they read because its published (a big mistake), most
photogs
discard the lens without ever trying it.

For me, I LOVE Summars.  I have three uncoated ones, and they are each
a  bit different. Summars left the factory uncoated before the war, if
you find one coated it was done after manufacture.  I prefer the
uncoated ones.

The lens will give you shots a "period" look which is entirely keeping
with you 1932 camera.   In B/W the tones will kind of melt  together, in
color you will see a slight soft focus effect at the wider apertures.

Some beautiful pictures can be taken with the Summar, pics that will
instantly have a different look than what everybody else is turning
out.

So try it, and see if you like it.

Stephen Gandy