Subject: Re: Summaron 35mm f3.5
From: Steven Blutter <sblutter@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 07:14:31 -0500

Ian Stanley wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>         When I was in Singapore I bought a Summaron 35mm 3.5 (1958 according
> to the Leica pocket book) because it was in pristine shape, reasonable in
> price and I just liked the looks of it.  I don't know a thing about this
> lens so I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1.  From what I have been able to find out so far the spectacle finder is
> for the M3.  Should I just remove this for use with the M6 and M4-P?
>
> 2.  What kind of results should I expect from this lens?  I haven't shot
> anything with it as yet.
>
> Ian Stanley
>
> Kathmandu, Nepal

i disagree with Ken.  I loan mine to a friend with an M-2 and take off
the eyes.  he has had no problems and neither have i when the eyes are
replaced.  the eyes are basically an accessory and have no bearing on
lens function. I worry about registration when i put them back for use
on the M-3, but with that set-up (M-3 and 35 w/eyes) i'm not expecting
perfect registration (viewfinder image vs. what is captured on neg.)
anyway.  add in glasses and you're lucky to see the focusing image!
sb