Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #428
From: ghuczek@eagle.wbm.ca (George Huczek)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 11:22:51 -0600

From: RJOA@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:35:31 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Wedding photography

From: RJOA@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:35:31 -0500 (EST)

Try Ilford XP-2(ASA400) and develop with C-41 chemicals(1-hour labs) - it
gives that sepia contrast tone.

If it does then your lab's color balance is likely off, unless they are
"toning" like this intentionally.
It should come out with normal tone blacks and whites.

   Incidentally, using regular photo labs to process XP-2 sounds great in
theory, but have you ever tried it?
If so, you may find, like I did, that many of these labs are now refusing to
process XP-2.  The sales people who work the counters are not usually
well-informed or knowledgeable about photography.  They follow the
instructions they were given.

   The predominant mis-information they are given (in Canada at least) is
that using XP-2 will contaminate their "chemistry" [sic].  More often the
reason why they can not accommodate the film is because of this "sepia tone"
effect mentioned in the previous post.  Unless they use the right type of
paper, they experience off-tone color.  Customers have been refusing the
prints if they are not satisfied with the particular color-tint that the
machines happen to be pumping out any given day.  This has caused increases
in costs for the 1-hour labs, having to take the time to reprint the negs
properly.

   I found that to get machine processing for XP-2 I had to search until I
found a lab about 135 km away which did a good job on the printing, but at a
premium.  I remember when color prints used to cost about three times as
much to process as B&W (I'm dating myself here ... back then air was clean
and sex was dirty ... ) now it is just the reverse.  It costs rougly two to
three times as much to process B&W as to do color. Go figure!  It still
costs me less to do B&W in my own darkroom, but there I do everything by
hand.  Modern machine processors are all set up for color, with the
exception of a few specialty labs which still are capable of producing
excellent B&W results.

- -GH