Subject: Re: G2 vs M6
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 22:31:35 -0600

At 18:06 1997-04-01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Fellow LUGnuts,
>
>Last Saturday, at the invitation (and expense) of Werner's Mile High Camera
>in Denver, I conducted a casual test of the Contax G2 and some of its lenses
>versus the Leica M6 and comparable lenses. Of course the cameras are
>different in style and, probably, intended markets, but all involved were
>interested in relative performance.
 [snip]

I recently had a G1 with 45/2.0 and shot it and my 35/1.4 ASPH side by side
and found the results consistent with what you posted.  The Contax G lenses
seem excellent.  I didn't like the either the autofocus or manual (also
electronic) focus on the G1.  Talk about time lag - it parks in the infinity
position and moves from there when shooting.  Also I found it difficult to
close focus manually with the little focus marks jumping around, back and
forth.  After I sold it I, again, bought an R7 with 35-70/3.5 lens and like
it just fine - don't know why I sold mine in the first place.  ( I think I
then bought a second M6 and sold it for the G1 to both save money and get a
camera, the G1 my wife could use - which she didn't.  She uses the R7 just
fine also.)

I also find it easy to focus close with the M6 - just rock forward until the
lines merge and shoot.

Ted e-mailed me privately a while ago telling me to quite testing and go out
and shoot some pictures.  He was right!  Sitting home with cabin fever can
lead you to strange decisions. Ted - I'm going, I'm going.

Dick Hemingway
Norman, OK