Subject: re: Leica-users archived digests
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 9:49:55 -0500

>I'd like to read the archived digest series. Is it on a website
somewhere?
>I appreciate any help you might give me.

You can get past Leica user digests through E-mail by sending requests
to: Leica-users-request@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Leave subject line blank
and in message area:

get Leica-users v01.n200
get Leica-users v01.n201
get Leica-users v01.n202
etc.
etc.

The current digest number is around v01.n420 I think

You can request a listing of the available digest numbers by date by
sending an e-mail to the same address above and in the message part
put:

index leica-users

I have pulled off every digest from 200 to the present  (I have not
read from 290 to 350 yet) .  I use the copy or paste hot keys to
duplicate the commands and just change the numbers. Once I have 100
done, I can pull up the saved outgoing messages from my out box and
forward the request changing the 301 to  201 etc.  Note: I limit my
requests to 25 messages as some of the digests are frightfully long and
the server could not process a request for  50 digests,  there was a
series of days were a subscriber inadvertently quoted the entire digest
 in his postings.

The other problem I have is that many of the digests are too large for
my E-mail software, so I have to save them on a floppy and read them on
MS Note-pad or MS-Word.  It get's rather tedious copying all of the
digests to a floppy, (I mount slides while I wait) but on the whole, I
think it's worth it.

While there are a lot of threads that you have to wade through, there
are some excellent posts about trips to Wetzlar and Solms (getting a
ride on a fire-engine), Fred Wards' work photographing Presidents at
the White House and other anecdotal postings with some of the greats of
Leica photography.  You can hear about Ben having his equipment stolen,
 a person who bought an early anastigmat for $35 and a story about an
luxus "found"in Australia.  Of course there is a lot of good
discussions on different lenses and equipment too.

You will also read more posts to, from and about Oddmund, CL and CLE
cameras, minox, guns and one who takes photos with his Leica in the
bathroom, (it's not as bad as it sounds) than you can ever imagine.
But, through it all you will get a better understanding for the
expertise and experience that  LUG members have and an understanding
for why certain issues and posters are responded to in a certain way.
I kept finding myself saying ahhhhh, that explains why.

I highly recommend reading every digest you can,

Duane