Subject: Re: Trip to Wetzlar and new M7
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 9:08:50 -0500

Yes, to my horror I discovered that fact after posting it.   In reading
some earlier digests I also found a few tidbits I could have added to
make it more credible.   Anyhow I do hope I can someday make to both
Solms and Wetzlar.

I'm new to the list and to get a feel for the group, I read through the
last 68 archived digests yesterday and it took some 5 hours to do so.
My first  suggestion would be to limit quotations to only relevant
material instead of quoting the entire original document and adding
just a few sentences at the end.  Second, the group would make an
interesting study in cross-cultural communication as a number of
different nationalities participate.   Oddmund brings out some of those
differences in a noticeable way.

I'm an photographer and US citizen who's lived overseas now for 5
years.  1 year  in Costa Rica and the last four in Ecuador.  I work
with people with various cultural backgounds every day and it  takes a
while for us US citizens to understand Europeans and other non-US
citizens.  First lesson, many people are put off by US citizens
referring to themselves as  Americans.   Canadians, all of central and
south America are Americans too.   And yes, you can spot a typical US
tourist in a group of Europeans in a hotel or restaurant pretty easily.
 I think you can spot a Frenchman in a group of US citizens too.  Sorry
Oddmund.

Anyhow, I will read a few more days  before posting any questions.

Duane Birkey