Subject: Re: Poor Quality Japanese Glass
From: "John Barnabas" <john@ucs.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 01:31:17 -0700

Marc James Small said:

> It's simple geography:  the Japanese just don't have the raw materials in
> quantity, and so they import almost all of their optical glass.
>
> I wasn't saying 'Japanese producers use crap to make lenses, as they lack
> GOOD optical glass'.  I WAS saying 'the Japanese import almost all of
their
> optical glass'.

Marc is right.  There is a bit of irony in this situation though.   Walter
Kluck,
now retired General Manager of what was Leitz Canada was discussing
optical glass during lunch at the '95 Lexington LHSA meeting and I asked
about
sources.  He said that much of his premium material came from Japan.

Perhaps Japan is a more efficient producer of  intermediate optical glass.

John Barnabas
- ---