Subject: Re: Poor Quality Japanese Glass
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:59:56 -0500 (EST)

<< Leica lenses, in my experience, are far
 cleaner than are other makes of the era, especially the Japanese lenses, as
 they did not, and still do not, enjoy a quality supply of optical glass in
 that country.

 This is my experience, but its a pretty wide one, and one going back quite
 a few years.

 Marc

Marc:

What do you mean by saying that "the Japanese lenses, as
 they did not, and still do not, enjoy a quality supply of optical glass in
 that country."....?   Are you saying that no lens made in Japan can rival
German lens quality?  I beg to differ.  While I believe that Leica makes
great glass, I think the Japanese are just as capable of making anything to
equal or exceed it.  They do not, however, do so, generally.  I think this is
likely by design.  They do not aim for the same market, generally, nor to
they have the same design philosophy in most cases.  What exactly did you
mean?

JayPax@aol.com