Subject: Re: Fogging
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 18:05:23 -0500

At 01:00 PM 3/25/97 -0800, Stephen Gandy wrote:
>BTW, did you ever consider that all those clean lenses you see at shows
>have already been cleaned since they cannot be easily sold without that
>cleaning?   Look for the original owner coming in the door to sell his
>vintage 50's and 60's Leicas.  You will almost certainly find fogged
>lenses to some degree or another.

Every show I work, I probably look at a dozen Leica bodies and ten or
twenty lenses being offered for sale.  I have never noted a preponderance
of fogged glass in Leica lenses.  Leica lenses, in my experience, are far
cleaner than are other makes of the era, especially the Japanese lenses, as
they did not, and still do not, enjoy a quality supply of optical glass in
that country.

This is my experience, but its a pretty wide one, and one going back quite
a few years.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!