Subject: Elmar 90mm f4
From: Steve Kobrin <kobrin2@xman.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:17:46 -0500

The Elmar 90 f4 was made in both screw mount and M versions.   I have an
Elmar M made about 1960 or so and wonder if it is identical mechanically to
the screw mount versions.  If it is, could I then unscrew the lens from the
barrel and mount it in a barrel designed for a scew mount camera?  Would it
focus properly on a IIIF?

If the answer to both questions is yes, I could then look for a screw mount
Elmar with bad glass and a decent barrel and then use the same "lens" on
both my M3 and IIIF, saving myself some money and taking advantage of that
fact that the lens I have is in relatively good shape.

This sounds hair-brained and I suspect there are eighteen reasons why it
cannot be done.  Anyone know what they are??

Steve