Subject: Re: Leica Alternatives
From: "Peter Jon White" <pjwhite@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:47:53 +0000

> Excuse me, but are you, as a Leica user, complaining that Contax lenses
> command ridiculous prices from collectors? I think you'll find that most
> Contax lenses would be a better value than the Leica equivalents.

As I said previously, my original intent was to write about new
cameras, not used. I deeply regret mentioning used equipment. We've
gotten far away from my original point. In fact I can't remember what
my original point was. :<)

> Also, there are the Keiv Contax "clones" (made with the actual factory
> tooling) at very reasonable prices.

The Russian Contax cameras were or are, (frankly I couldn't care less
which), made with tooling stolen from it's rightful owners and are
therefore stolen goods themselves. As a matter of general principle I
would never knowingly traffic in or own stolen goods. Nor will I
enter into a discussion of their usability or servicability. :<(

> I also don't understand why you think Contax lenses would be more prone
> to fungus than old Leica lenses.

I don't understand why you think I think that. I never said that.

Peter Jon White