Subject: Re: A Fallacious Argument
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 14:13:34 -0500

At 10:25 AM 20-03-97 -0500, Bob wrote:
[snip]

>Had you said that if a playboy bought some expensive trinket for $100K, like
>a custom yacht, then your analogy has some validity. That money was a waste.
>It could have been used to alleviate the plight of those Indian farmers by
>paying for medical facilities and marketing transportation, etc. What has the
>Leica in the hands of a skilled photographer got to do with that Indian
>farmer? What has the Strad in the hands of Perlman got to do with that Indian
>farmer? Zubin Meta would consider you quixotic, to say the least -- and he's
>a countryman of that Indian farmer.

Bob, the problem with your argument is that there are very few photographers
(IMHO) that require a Leica in order to practice their art at its fullest.
By far the majority could do very nicely with a much less expensive
alternative.  Forgive me, Oddmund, if I am misrepresenting you, but I
believe you sold your Leica precisely for this reason.  You found that there
were less extravagant alternatives open to you.  So the analogy between the
yacht and the Leica is a good one, and counter to Bob's argument.  In fact,
it could be argued that the playboy has NO alternatives for his $100k yacht.
How else will he be able to cruise the Mediterranean?

Dan C.

Dan Cardish  <dcardish@microtec.net>
                        <http://www.microtec.net/~dcardish/>