Subject: Re: Circular/Linear Polarizers
From: Paul Young <pauly@sdd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:51:11 -0800 (PST)

> Kari said,
>
> > Linear works very simply as well. It is a unfortunate misconception
> > that linear polarizer doesn't work with beam splitter meters.
>
> <snip>
>
> Greetings,
>
> While this may work in many situations, it can easily lead to
> incorrect exposures.

<snip>

> In order to really know the effect the polarizer is having with this
> type of camera, you must have a circular polarizer.

Okay, here's my two cents on this polarizer noise.

Beam splitters can be fooled by linear polarizers, but it can be
'corrected' by looking for the highest meter reading. A circular
polarizer will always give you that higher reading, but is it
'correct'? It will no more give you a correct exposure than a meter
will. Even a Nikon F5 meter. The point is that the 'correct'
exposure depends on the subject, the film, and the photographer's
vision of what s/he is trying to convey. A polarizer will 'darken'
certain parts of an image and not (or to a different extent) others.
Just taking a meter reading won't necessarily give a correct (or bad)
exposure. A photographer with a vision of the shot AND an understanding
of the techniques and tools (film and filters) will be able to get
the 'correct' exposure for the intended effect. Sometimes the indicated
exposure (polarizer or not, circular or not) will be 'right' and
sometimes not.

Or bracket like hell.

Paul.