Subject: R4 and R4S
From: seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 97 08:09:34 PST

     Hi,

      Last night I was browsing through my binder for Leica info.  I found
     two letters, one from Don Goldberg and another from Leica Technical
     Information in relation to Leica R4 and R4S reliability.  Don said in
     the letter that later R4 as well as R4S are very reliable because
     Leitz responded to the first electronic problems of R4.  He also said
     that the easiest way to tell the difference in R4 is that later R4 has
     leather strip on the eyepiece.  Leica Technical Information also
     mentioned in the letter that I should look for one with serial number
     greater than 1.6 mil. (Actually the number he gave me was a little
     less than 1.6 mil)  That implies that Leica fixed the R4 problem from
     the serial number.

      Several months ago, a lot of members were against R4 and R4S.
     According to these two people, the later R4 and R4S is as reliable as
     R4S-P.  Any more comments?

     Regards,

     David