Subject: Flash fill ratio? Metz 40Mz and Leica R8
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 15 Mar 97 19:10:14 EST

Howdy folks,

I rarely use flash, well almost never!  It's sort of mixing gasoline and water,
using flash and a Leica! :)  But now that I'm an R8 owner with a Metz 40Mz and
the correct flash adapter SCA3501.  I have to learn how to balance flash light
for flashfill situations and I don't really want to know I used flash.  Just a
subtle blink of light.

For openers I hate those flash filled images that have blown out shadows where
you are more aware of the flash than looking at the photograph.

So folks I'm yours and all ears for any suggestions one might care to offer.

It appears you can control the output in 1/3 increments with a tiny little
switch to what looks like 2 1/3 stops down from full flash. So what amount do
you experienced flash fill folks drop the flash to from full power for a nice
quiet bit of twinkie light?

After all my years shooting I am completely out of my league when it comes to
this type of flash business.  Reflectors I can see, flash and output I'm dead!
:)

Thanks in advance,

ted grant
Victoria, Canada