Subject: Re: Lenses for CL
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 97 00:35:49 -0400

>Also, I've been told that the 90mm f4 lens that is intended for the CL is a
>restricted f2.8 Elmarit, and close examination of the aperture blades
>seems to
>confirm this.  Why would Leica have done this?  Someone suggested to me that
>this is something to do with the limitations of the rangefinder, but other
>than a lens physically blocking the rangefinder I can see that any lens
>could be a problem.

Simon,

The CL rangefinder has a shorter baseline, which means that it is not as
accurate as the rangefinder in the other M-series cameras. This is
basically the distance between the two rangefinder windows, but the
magnification of the viewfinder also factors into the "effective" length
of the base. The further apart they are, (or the wider the baseline) the
greater the difference in angle between them as you focus at a certain
point, and the more precisely it can measure that distance. The smaller
rangefinder was a compromise made with the CL in order to make the camera
more compact.

Because it cannot focus as precisely, Leitz chose to use a slower lens
for the 90mm, because f/4 gives you a little more depth of field to make
up for the less-accurate focusing.

This is also, I believe, the reason that they made an f/1.4 75mm lens
instead of an f/1.4 90mm for the M-series. The 75mm is supposed to be at
about the limit that the M rangefinder can focus with precision at f/1.4,
whereas the d-o-f for a 90mm lens this fast would be too shallow to be
useful.

You could use a 90mm f/2.8 on the CL, just don't use it wide open (or at
least be aware that you are taking a risk with focusing wide open). You
can also use some common sense; for instance, if you focus near infinity
you will not have as much of a problem as when you are focused at close
range.

You can use collapsable lenses, just don't collapse them while they are
on the camera! The meter is pretty delicate, and you can easily damage
it. Some wide angle lenses protrude far enough into the camera body to
foul the meter, so you should avoid them.

- - Paul