Subject: Re: A Puzzlement!!!
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:34:30 -0800

>What do you take, what do you put where, and what's your working plan?
>
>Looking forward to the wisdom & experience of El Grupo...

I take what I have, stuffed in a Billingham Series 3 bag that is my
carry-on and goes under the seat in front of me (with my tray table in its
upright, locked position):

M6

20 Russian w/accessory viewfinder
35 f/2 (Canadian in my case)
50 f/2 (latest)
90 f/2.8 (latest)

All the Provia 100 and Tri-X I anticipate needing.

I find the 50 more useful than most people and would not feel comfortable
with the often recommended travelling set of 35/90. I have all the lenses
in little black leatherette drawstring bags that I picked up from B+H for
about $4.95 each. They're great; if I want to stuff a lens in my pocket and
head off without the whole bag I can do that easily. The latest 50 and 90
have built-in hoods, so the only hood in my bag is the one for the 35
Summicron. I don't use flash, so I don't pack one. I keep a multi-coated
B+W UV filter on each lens for protection (be sure to specify _multi_
coating). I would probably also find room somewhere in my luggage for my
Yashica T4 loaded with Royal Gold 100 print film. That's it. Oh, tripod: I
just got one (Bogen 3010, I think, with quick release ball head). I don't
use it much yet and haven't travelled with it. It was inexpensive, works
well, and doesn't cost me much if I want to upgrade to something more
snazzy later (carbon Gitzo w/Arca Swiss head and RightStuff quick release?).

Now, go back and double that amount of film and you're all set.

- -Charlie

              Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Deptartment
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074