Subject: Re: filters
From: colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 00:17:54 -0600

Jim Brick wrote:

> I posted this quite a while back. I'll re-post it now since there seems to
> be some interest.
>
> These first words came directly from Leica. I wish I could remember who
> said it or where I read it. Sorry!
>
> In Leicas own words... "if we had wanted another piece of glass in front
> our lenses we would have designed it there." "each glass-to-air surface
> decreases sharpness, decreases contrast (increased flair) and eliminates
> the multicoating we at Leica have worked so hard to put on the front
> element of our lenses." "filters should be reserved for special
> conditions." "our modern lenses have all of the uv inhibitors built-in."
> etc., etc., etc...

> Perhaps the easiest answer to all of this is to leave the lens hood on at
> all times, only removing it when actually shooting. Then immediately
> replace it.
>
> Jim

Jim,

I assume you mean lens 'cap' in that last statement.

I got a chance to attend the Leica Akademie a year or so back.  It was a
great time.  One of the more amusing moments came when after a few hours
of the instructor explaining the Leica philosophy and explaining in
detail why the Leica lenses are the finest manmade objects ever created,
we were turned loose to go into the village of Wetzlar and use these
fine instruments.  Drawers were opened, drawers packed full of M6's,
R6.2's and R7's.  More drawers were opened; take whatever lenses you
want.  (Just remember to return them.)  I was amused to notice that
there were many more lenses than lens caps.  With the big bare front
element of a 75 1.4 dangling from my neck and a similar 35 1.4 ASPH in
my pocket, I asked the instructor if there were any caps to be had, he
replied, "for what?" as he wiped the front of a lens with his shirt.

I got some fine photos that day.

Have fun,

Colin