Subject: Filtering Montblancs, Mr X etc.
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 97 15:52:16 +0200

After a couple of months leave (travelling in Africa and USING my
gear!) I subscribed again. What a debacle I find. Only R. Brummett's
humor and astute observations made it worth reading! Why bother
fighting on the same old topics? As for my Nordic colleague, I think
he *had* a point but I for one sure cannot understand why he hangs
around in this forum. Most people would move on to more receptive
audiences. Hint: want to try alt.journalism.photo - if nobody cares
about repeated pledges to politics at least it isn't because they
are equipment fetishes. No Montblanc-babble either.

Subscribed the digest and related to that a practical hint that
someone may not have noticed. For digest kill-files for subjects or
people obviously don't work. But by putting "Subject:" to the
subject-line of your finder-routine that comes with most
window-dresses operating systems you can jump from message to
message. Then you just read the interesting articles  and skip over
to the next header without having screenfulls the drivel to scroll
over. Saves time for sure.

A suggestion. Could the mailer software be changed so that in the
beginning of the digest we have the headers listed? Would speed up
the reading even further, with the finder of course. I know it is
standard software as some of the other lists I subscribe use it.

Other than that the M really showed it's mettle in Ethiopia. Shot
people really close up in villages, churches and along the way,
busses etc. Quietness is such a great asset. Lots of shots inside
with ridicluously long times yet a good fraction came out unblurred
and in focus. It's also very good for hipshots etc. for essentially
the same reason. Again met people who don't know what a camera is -
it never ceases to surprise me. And once you make contact it gives
an opportunity to capture some completely unexhibited expressions
and gestures. Makes you be really careful not to "corrupt" them. M
comes strong here as the noise doesn't reveal that anything much is
being done. Unfortunately using SLRs after that is like having
something exploding in your hands...

Cheers,

Kari Eloranta