Subject: Re: LUG versus Oddmund, or the contrary !
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:32:23 -0500

At 12:39 PM 12-03-97 EST, you wrote:
>Oddmund,
>
>Who are you, where are you from, why are you on the list ?
>
>Because I'm on this list sinds only three weeks, and because my english is not
>so good, I don't really understand the problem with you.(if there is really a
>problem!)

[snip]

There is no problem.  A very few people have made a huge, huge mountain out
of the smallest of mole hills  (I hope this makes sense to non-English
speaking LUGers).  They have taken offense to some minor remarks that were
made months ago, but seem to have taken a life of their own.  I have never
met Oddmund, but I suspect that if we were all to sit down at a table with a
few pitchers of beer, that we would have a real good time, arguments and all.

The problem with the Internet is that a very important element is removed
from the interaction that takes place.  I can recall when I first moved to
Montreal, asking one of my new friends (a Francophone of strong
nationalistic feelings) where the nearest branch of the "Canada Trust" (a
form of bank here in Canada) was.  He indicated that he didn't know or
particularly care.  I asked him if it was the "Canada" part of the name that
bothered him.  No, he replied, it was the "Trust" part.  We had a really
good laugh over this.  It was very funny, even though there was some truth
to what he had said.  We got along quite well from this point onwards.   If
this interaction had taken place over the Internet, can you imagine what my
natural reaction would be?  I'd probably be leading the parade of LUGers
signing off the list.  But I knew this person for real, not over a 28.8 kpbs
phone line, and I knew that there was more to him then his penitent for
rabble rousing.

Anyhow, there is always the delete key.  I use it all the time, and I mean
no offense by this!  I get so much mail, if someone is asking about
tele-extenders for a lens I don't own etc. etc., I hit delete.  Its no big
deal.  No point reading a question that's not relevant to me and that I
can't possibly answer.  I usually read Oddmund's stuff, but I've reached a
point where I will start deleting anything with the subject of "Leica as a
weapon" in it.

Join us on the IRC,  the beer's on me!

Dan C.