Subject: Re: vignetting when using two filters on Summicron 35?
From: colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 16:48:20 -0600

Nicolas Levinton wrote:
>=20
> Hi.
>=20
> Could it be possible that I=B4m getting almost unnoticeable vignetting,=
 but noticeable anyway, when I used a B+W blue filter on top of another U=
V filter of the same brand on my Summicron 35mm? What will happen when I =
buy the lens shade and put it on top of the UV(which I=B4d like to leave =
always inserted, mainly for protection from scratches)?
>=20
> Thanks a lot.
>=20
>         Nicolas Levinton. Madrid. SPAIN
>         nicolev@jet.es

Nicolas,

You'd do better to remove the UV before putting on the blue.  Anytime
you put on a filter you compromise optical quality a little bit.  I'd
say the protection a UV gives is worth it in most cases.  But two
filters I think would be an unnecessary compromise.  The chances of
something nasty happening to the front element in the short time
required to change filters is very slim indeed.  The hoods made for the
newer 35 Summicrons attach to the lens barrel, not the filter so that
won't be a problem if that's the version you have.  If you have an older
one and use an IROOA or similar you shouldn't have a problem either.

To sum up: Use one filter at a time and a lens hood and you should have
no problems.

Have Fun,

Colin

P.S.  A fellow I used to know told me he'd take his Exaktas out pretty
often because the quality of some of the lenses matched the older Leicas
and he wasn't quite as worried about spilling his beer on them.

; )