Subject: Re: M3 prices
From: Robert Burroughs <rbpix@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:43:01 -0800

Paul Schliesser wrote:

> Someone on the list had asked the original price of the M3. I looked it
> up, but I lost the original message and forgot who it was who asked.
>
> This is not the 1954 price, but I found these prices for 1958, when the
> M2 was released:
>
> M2:
> with 50mm f/2.8 Elmar      KIHOO    $276.00
> with 50mm rigid Summmicron KIOOL     345.00
>
> M3:
> with 50mm f/2.8 Elmar      IMOLO     330.00
> with 50mm rigid Summicron  ISUMO-S   399.00
> with 50mm f/1.5 Summarit   ISAIO     414.00
>
> These prices all include Federal Manufacturer's Excise Tax
>
> This if from a sales brochure reprinted in Lager's _Leica Literature_.
>
> - Paul

I lost the original post also but my 1956 Leica Product Directory lists
the M3 as follows:

M3 without lens 		IGEMO	288.00
M3 w/50mm Elmar f3.5	IMARO	354.00
M3 w/50mm Summicron f2	ISUMO	447.00
M3 w/50mm Summarit f1.5	ISAIO	477.00

Again, these are with the Federal Manufacturer's Excise Tax included.

Did the dollar imnprove that much in two years?

BTW, a Leica 72 LKOOM was 189.00

Robert