Subject: We were on the IRC
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:24:06 -0500

I had one taker last night (Sunday ~ 8:00 p.m. EST) on the #leica channel on
the IRC.   Roger Beamon signed on and we chatted for about 10 minutes.  It
was a bit difficult finding a server that wasn't maxed out (I guess Sunday
evening is a popular time for this sort of thing), but I just kept trying
each of the ***.undernet.org servers and eventually logged in.  It took only
a few minutes.

I used the latest version of MIRC (version 4.72, available from
http://www.mirc.co.uk/index.html) to access the IRC.  There are undoubtedly
many other IRC programs, but I find MIRC to be easy to use.   When first
installed you will be prompted for some personal info, etc.  Then you will
be asked to choose a server.  Many of the servers (perhaps all of them?) are
interconnected, so that it is not critical as to which one you pick, as long
as the server name has the ending of undernet.org.  For instance, I was
using montreal.qc.ca.undernet.org, but there are many to choose from.  It is
recommended that you pick one that is geographically closest to you  (but, I
later was using one from Norway, no problem).

I think this can be a real tool.  LUGers with cameras to sell or buy can
iron out the details over the IRC.  Confusing discussions concerning, say,
the first serial numbers of SS M3s can be hashed out quickly over the IRC.
Perhaps misunderstandings that can drag on for weeks on the LUG and the
internet.com leica list can be cleared up quickly over the IRC.  Finally, I
think it is basically fun.

I will log on again this evening at 8:00 EST to the #leica channel on
undernet.org.  Perhaps there are better times that are more accomodating for
the majority of list subscribers?  Let me know.

Hope to see you there.

Dan C.

p.s. my IRC nickname (most users use nickmanes on the IRC, why fight it?) is
LeicaMan.