Subject: Re: Old style Elmar 5cm SM collapsable-Help!
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:22:39 -0500

When I cleaned and lubricated my 5cm Elmar I used Campagnolo grease.
(familiar to those of us who bicycle) I put a tiny amount on the threads,
worked them for several minutes, added a touch more and worked that until
it was all nice an smooth. Then I wipe off the threads with a clean rag. It
has worked fine for the last two years.

kw

>I recently received as a gift the above lens, which was filthy.  Doing
>what anyone nosey Leica freak would do, I cleaned it thoroughly, even
>taking the barrel out of the mount and cleaning that too.
>Now the lens is way too loose because there's no grease for tension.
>I only have in the house some very bicycle waterproof grease, but assume
>that's not right.
>-Question>what grease to use? How much to use?  I don't want to pay a
>repair guy just to do this (last resort)
>thanks,
>sblutter

- ----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>