Subject: Suitable Grease for Lensmouns
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 09:48:14 -0500

The old stand-by is automotive axle grease, the 99-cents-a-can stuff we use
to repack our LBC front hubs every six months.  John Van Stelten will
probably cringe when he reads this, though:  there ARE specialty greases
available which are better for the job.

German lenses from roughly 1937 or so through the War suffered from poor
lubricants, as the German POL supplies were being diverted to 'other' uses.
 East German lenses continued to have lousy lubricants until the late
1950's before the Soviets started giving them some good stuff.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315