Subject: Definitive Cleaning Materials & Techniques
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 18:02:10 +0000

"David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com> wrote:
> The finest glass in the world is of little value if it's covered with
> dust, dirt and fingerprints. Yet I'm loathe to clean my lenses, in part
> for fear of damaging the coatings.
> What is the best way to clean a Leica lens? I'm looking for brand name
> recommendations and the best technique. Any suggestions?

Opticlean.  This stuff is a UK product introduced a few years ago; I don't
know if it's made it to the US yet.  It's a polymer film that you apply in
a syrupy solution with a small brush like nail varnish.  Let it dry, then
press a sticky tab hard down onto it and use that as a "handle" to peel it
off.  It takes the dirt with it.  No rubbing at all, brilliant result.
Fairly expensive but worth it.

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE