Subject: Re: LF Leica
From: Lucien <100774.527@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Mar 97 13:23:00 EST

Jack Campin wrote:

> Spotted on rec.photo.equipment.large-format...
>
> "Randy Moore" <Randy_RN@msn.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone ever heard of a 5 X 7 flatbed made by Wetzlar?  I recently
> > purchased one at a flea market with several backs and a ground glass
> > insert for a very reasonable price.
> > The bellows and wood are all in fantastic condition. I have an old clean
> > 162 mm lens I plan on installing, but have to have a bed made for it.
> > I would appreciate any info you might have on this camera.
> > Several people have told me Wetzlar never made LF cameras....
> > This has a brass plate that says "made in Germany"  and Leitz Wetzlar is
> > engraved in the rear bellows holder.

and Steve wrote:

<Leitz probably used in house large format for photos of its own
<products.  Perhaps the camera was used by Leitz for those pics.   Leitz
<in that context indicated ownership, not manufacturer.

<Stephen Gandy

Before making the Leica 1 in 1924, Leitz did make LF cameras. They where not
very successful.

Lucien