Subject: Re: Accessory Shoe
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 97 02:17:59 -0000

>>BTW, Leica originated the standard accessory shoe that is now on top of
>>almost all cameras. It's generally used as a hot shoe now, but originally
>>was used for viewfinders, rangefinders and other accessories.
>

>I found this most interesting, though I'm not certain it's correct.
>Certainly, all Leicas from the UR-Leica of '23 had such -- but I've never
>heard such a claim advanced before.  Does anyone have anything to contribute
>to this, or are you guys going to make me dig through tons of dusty old
>catalogues and magazines?

Marc,

I read this in a book, so it must be true.

This is from the 1984 edition of the _Leica Rangefinder Way_ by Andrew
Matheson, page 4. He's talking about the original production models in
1925:

"This camera--and indeed the pre-production prototypes--already featured
the now universal accessory shoe on top of the camera. On the original
Leica this shoe was intended to take a separate rangefinder to measure
subject distances and so facilitate accurate distance setting on the
lens. This was long before the time of clip-on flash units and
alternative viewfinders."

I had re-read parts of this book recently, and this little factoid had
stuck in my mind. However, upon critical re-reading, one can argue that
it doesn't actually say that the shoe was invented for the Leica, just
that they used it. So, dig on!

BTW, I had been meaning to drop you a note and say how much I enjoyed
talking with you when you were at the camera show in Dayton a few weeks
ago. You told me about this list, and here I am.

Zeiss scholar that you are, I had meant to ask you if you knew anything
about Barnack at Zeiss. I read someplace that he had originally worked
there, and that Zeiss had laid him off because of his health. This was
why he went to Leitz in the first place. This doesn't seem in keeping
with the image of Zeiss as the enlightened, progressive foundation
dedicated to the well-being of its employees.

- - Paul