Subject: Re: The Acid Test
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:30:08 -0800

Electrically controlled shutters work on the principle that the shutter is
mechanically enrergized into operation by a solenoid.  Another step in the
process, so it is inherently slower.

I agree that for fast shutter timings, the FPS uses a slit... which gives
the speed distortion. For slower action, the shutter is fully open.

CCD's have several modes of operation including the one you mentioned...
take in light, hold light on capacitor, bucket brigade or mux the
electricity out.  This would give an instantaneous full CCD picture with a
slow output to the hard disk or whatever.  What I have been able to gather
from the elctronics types is that they wish to not use the idea of an
instantaneous collection of light, but rather scan the pixels directly in
real time with the output rate.  I will investigate further, but that is
all I have been able togather for now.  My guess is that there is some way
to make the CCD cheaper.... pure guess, but that's the thought process
behind the electronics biz.
Thank You
Frank Filippone
red735i@worldnet.att.net