Subject: Re: Making pictures with the M Leica
From: "Peter Jon White" <pjwhite@tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:58:36 +0000

Ed Leica says,
> Youdo not need to go all of the way to infinity but go well past the desired
> point of focus so that any slop, backlash, or free play in the focusing and
> RF mechanism is out before you reach your point of focus

Greetings,

Since I am not a Leica repairman I may be speaking out of place here,
but it seems to me that if there is any slop, backlash or free play
in the mechanism, that in and of itself would indicate that the
rangefinder isn't giving you accurate focusing in either direction.

The little wheel that the lens rides on is spring loaded. I don't see
how focusing in one direction or the other could make any difference,
unless the rangefinder mechanism was all gummed up.

 It certainly is easy enough to tell whether any slop exists,
however. If you sit steady in a chair and focus on a nearby object
from the infinity setting of the lens, note down the position of the
distance scale on the lens, and then repeat the procedure starting
from the near focus setting of the lens, any difference in the
position of the focusing ring will indicate the amount of slop in the
lens or rangefinder.

My 42 year old M3 with 47 year old Summitar lens and screw mount
adapter show no slop whatsoever.

I doubt that this is a problem with very many Leicas.

Peter Jon White