Subject: Re: Thoughts from a user
From: "Roger Suppona" <suppona@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 19:26:13 +0000

I'm not a collector, however I think Leica's nod to the collector's
interest is good for everyone.  A quick tally of the numbers of user
M6's produced vs collector versions will no doubt show the bulk of
production is for the user with the collector stuff subsidizing that
production.

Let's face it, the 35mm market (P&S excepted) isn't what it once was.
Worse, many people who buy the "good stuff" seem enamored by
whatever's the latest model.  Never mind that camera bodies have
little impact on the quality of an image: Read the Nikon digest, or
get on a service like CompuServe and read the messages from all those
photographers who are replacing their F4's, N90's, etc. with F5's.  A
Leica M is a niche camera.  It's not suitable for many applications.
To a certain extent, the applications for which it is suitable (like
street photography) can and are performed with SLR's.

More power to the collectors if they keep Leica producing M systems.

Roger Suppona