Subject: Re: Selgado's "Workers"
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:00:01 -0800

Charles Albertson wrote:

>         From articles and interviews published around the time "Workers" came out,
> Salgado primarily used Tri-X and (towards the end of the project, after it
> became available) T-Max P3200. He shoots Tri-X at a variety of speeds, and
> has it developed in any number of developers, from D-76 to Acufine. All
> photos were shot with any one of several M bodies and 28mm and 35mm lenses,
> and occasionally a 60mm lens on an R body.

> heard him lecture on his work a few years ago.  He uses both M and R
>cameras, although the M is used more often.
>Charles E. Love, Jr.

Many of the pix in the book appear to be with a 180.  I recognize the look
from the many hours looking through one.

The more important thing was a quote of his I paraphrase from memory
about being so intimate with the cameras that they are absolutely second
nature--as if there were no camera, just vision. Click.

Donal Philby
San Diego