Subject: Viewfinder Policies
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:56:54 -0500

At 08:58 AM 2/22/97 -700, Roger Beamon, the dude in a striped shirt, wrote:

>Again, LHSA's VIEWFINDER may be too collector oriented for you, BUT,
>it is a heck of a lot less so than in the past. The thing that has
>happened under the just ended stewardship of Roy Moss is that the
>content has begun to much more carefully reflect the fact that both
>collectors and users comprise the membership. Roy's editorials,
>often, addressed issues that were user oriented. His blast at Leica's
>price structure, just before retiring as editor, whether you agree
>with it or not, was certainly fodder for the users.
>
>The future course of VIEWFINDER under previous editor, now again
>editor, Randol Hooper will be interesting to chart.

This just isn't true, Roger.  Randy was canned the last time precisely
because he insisted on running items of less than pure "collector" interest,
and Roy was installed to RESTORE the collector bias of the journal.  I have
voluminous FAX correspondence objecting to this policy, but Roy was
absolutely adamant.  That's why a new Membership Survey was held shortly
after Roy took over VF.  This showed about a 2/3 collector bias in the
membership.  Roy consistently avoided user topics during his tenure.  Now
that Randy is back, expect a vastly greater user content than has been the
practice.

I discussed this with Randy some weeks back when we met in Dayton.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!