Subject: Selgado's "Workers"
From: ghuczek@eagle.wbm.ca (George Huczek)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 08:42:41 -0600

Just before Christmas I posted a message asking for suggestions on books
which would make good reading during the Christmas holidays.  Thank you for
your suggestions.
The last to arrive, just last week, was "Workers" by Sebastio Selgado. It
contained some exceptional photographs. Very powerful stuff.
  I would like to know if anyone could give me some details about the
techniques Selgado used.  Some of the photos, reproduced to about 11x14 in
the book, showed a very noticeable, large grain structure.  The grain seemed
to enhance the photos.  I was wondering if anyone knows what film/developer
combination he used to produce those results.  Other photos, enlarged to
about the same size, seemed to show very little grain at all. Again, the
film/developer combination likely produced those results, and I'd like to
know if anyone knows how he was able to control that, since those photos
looked like they were taken hand-held, which might have been very difficult
in some of the lighting conditions available with slow speed film.
- -GH