Subject: Re: Mr. Puts' Thoughts
From: ANDY5223@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:16:22 -0500 (EST)

Dear Ben:
  I am a new subscriber here and agree totally with your thoughts.  I have
long felt that for all its technical expertice, Leica does not show up often
in the media.  I seldom see it at work with the press either in news or
sports.  I know that Leica was at the Olympics in Atlanta because they touted
some images made there with the new Telyt optics, but the certainly must have
been well hidden.  There is far too little Leica presence.

  I am a serious color landscape shooter and use the  R system with optics
from 19 to 280 and shoot everything from a tripod.  I get results worthy of
the optics for which I have paid dearly.  But then, when I make an
enlargement, I make a 30 x 40 cibachrome printed by a printing master and
every bit of quality which was there to be had is clearly in the priint.  All
my associates know I shoot Leica and I am proud of it.  I am not a collector.
 I am a user (although I have a soft focus Thambar which I use
occassionally).  I feel that Leica USA should take a much more active
presence to promote their product.  Having people come and show panoramic
shots from Tuscany as they did last year here in Houston without so much as a
word about the instruments of his trade I feel to be a terrible mistake and
have passed on my thoughts regarding this to Roger Horn.  Getting them to do
anything is a real problem.  I do not want to think that Leica will become a
collector's camera and not a user's one.  I have an R8 on order and feel that
finally, there is some indication of promise for things to come (lens
contacts), but wonder about the factory thinking when automatic bracketing is
only possible on the MOTOR drive, but not the WINDER!  Go figure!

Andy