Subject: Colour Shift in Velvia
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:23:16 -0800 (PST)

At 09:12 PM 19/02/97 +0000, Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:
>  My results
>> suffered from pronounced color shifts towards green, and it wasn't
>> just the lighting.
>> I've seen some people say Velvia doesn't suffer from reciprocity
>> failure

>Is there any chance the film was overheated? I've seen transparencies
>that got cooked in desert heat. They were green!
>
>Peter Jon White

Peter:

If it was, try Kodachrome 25. I regularly cart it into the desert for weeks
at a time (stored in a trunk or glove compartment in a car in the direct
sun) and never have suffered colour shifts. (All exposures have been of 2
seconds or less, I might add.)

I understand this is so, because it is essentially a B&W film and the
colours are added during processing, while other colour films have the dyes
in the film. This, of course, does not explain Charles Love's comments on
Kodachrome 64.

In a related vein - Does anybody on the list have any experience with any
ASA/ISO 400  transparency film that will survive abusive treatment (being
stored in tropical climates for up to 3 weeks w/o special treatment) and not
suffer from colour shifts. Again, all exposures will be 1/2 second or less,
so reciprocity shouldn't be a problem.

Many thanks.

David Young             |  There are no absolutes
Victoria, B.C. CANADA   |  in life. Of this I am
youngs@IslandNet.com    |  absolutely certain!