Subject: Re: Doubt on state of my used M6
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:02:56 -700

With alacrity, Nicolas Levinton wrote:
<snip>

> Clearly identifiable I can see: the metering lens, the metering
> white circle, and 5 screws two of which are cross-shaped (+). Of
> this two screws, there is one that is bigger than the other and not
> black, but dark grey. Well, to the sides of this screw, there are
> quite noticeable rests of dark black glue!! Before taking it to the
> dealer that sold it to me to ask him for an explanation, and maybe
> going through some embarassment, I wanted to ask you guys if this is
> normal, or if any of you knows what it is. I don't have the chances
> of seeing many Leicas around here in Madrid, so I thought that a
> quick check with you would be best.

!Buenos Dias Nicolas!

I just pulled the lens off my M6 and find things as you described.
Never looked that closely before.

I doubt that it is glue to each side of the larger +headed screw. It
looks to me that it might be a piece of black glossy substrate
material under what appears to be a flap of metal that the subject
screw holds down.

I've never had it apart, however, so what do I know? I'll bet that we
get a more definitive answer, and soon! Camera works fine, though, so
I'm sure not going to worry about it. It's probably completely
normal. BTW, mine is serial No. 1,795,xxx. What's yours?
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum