Subject: Re: Pinhole f number
From: "Peter Jon White" <pjwhite@tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:01:21 +0000

> I may be wrong, but I always thought that you have to divide the diameter of
> the aperture (or the diameter of the hole, in the case of a pinhole) by the
> focal length.
>
> Regards,
>
>      - Juan

Greetings,

That's correct. And it's easy enough to prove. Take a metric ruler
and hold it across the front of a 50mm lens with the aperture at f:2.

The opening you see will measure almost exactly 25mm.

A 1mm pinhole, at a focal length of 50mm would have an aperture of
f:50.

A Noctilux, with a focal length of 50mm and an aperture of f:1 has a
diaphragm opening 50mm in diameter, not radius.

If someone has a system that measures by radius, it's not the system
being used by all lens makers I'm aware of.

Note that with a pinhole, it's the actual diaphragm opening that's
measured, whereas on a lens its the size of the opening you can see
that's measured. If you took the lens apart the actual size of the
diaphragm would likely be smaller.

Peter Jon White