Subject: Re: M3 look-a-like = M6-J
From: "Peter J. Fasi" <ar487@detroit.freenet.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:09:03 -0800

Hubert Nowotny wrote:

> > Date:          Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:19:21 -0800
> > From:          Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
> > To:            leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> > Subject:       Re: M3 look-a-like = M6-J
> Well Stephen - it's love it or leave it; I don't believe that any
> price can be a moral crime (there are pretty many facts which come
> beforehand in the line ...). It's handmade and there is a chain of
> dealers in between the factory and us; that's it.
>
> (Surely I would appreciate to get it cheaper. No discussion about
> that.)
>
> Have a fine day anyway
> Hubert
>
> > ONE OF THE FINEST?  Charging $8,000-10,000 for the body should make it
> > a lot better than just "one of the finest."
> >
> > The pricing is a moral crime.  The normal M6 price is bad enough, but
> > the M6J prices
> > amount to a crime against humanity---or at least against Leica
> > photographers.
>
> > Stephen Gandy
> >
> * Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
> * A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
> * Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
> * hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/

I don't buy cameras to collect. I buy them to use and create photographs
with. The idea of spending $8000 for a camera is ludicrous. That is what
my daughter's high school tuition runs. I own a Leica CL that I bought
many years ago. Yes, it is not as accurate as the M series. Yes, it may
feel like a toy a times, but I love the damn thing. I can take it
anywhere effortlessly. The 40mm is for me a perfect compromise between
the 35 and 50, especially when I take along the 28mm. The cost of most
camera equipment has gotten way out of hand, but the fact that this
particular brand is so highly sought after by collectors has made the
costs absurd. To each his own. If it makes you happy to spend a fortune
for a camera, suit yourself. Personally I'd rather feed my children. If
I had to replace the CL today, I'd opt for the Contax. It's pricey also,
but I have yet to see the fanatical following that drives prices through
the roof.