Subject: Re: M3 look-a-like = M6-J
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <hubertn@mail.ctr.co.at>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:20:23 +0100

> Well, luckily I can type with my foot in my mouth! All I knew about
> the M6J was what I had seen in advertising. And apparently, the ads I
> saw didn't clearly describe the camera.
>
> Is the viewfinder magnification more like the M3 than the M4 or M6?

M3

> What is different about the meter?

More exact, bigger range (to lower light)

> Assuming it is a wonderful camera, why can't Leitz make more of them?

I think they simply don't want to (because the production costs too
much and people are buying M6es, anyway. The M6J  was an advertizing
for the M6, built by the finest standards to be a legend and to demonstrate
"look here, we _can_ build _really_ fine cameras (if we really want
to)" ). Rumours have it that Leica _lost_ money with the M6J; the retail
price for a series production model should be somewhere above US$ 10 K -
you wouldn't buy it, I presume ...

> I'd love to have a camera with a bigger viewfinder image that shows
> me the 35mm frame lines. The brightline finder is nice with the M3
> but it takes up a lot of room. And the 90mm frame size on the M4 is
> pretty small. I can't imagine trying to use a 135 with it.

Well, that's it, exactly ... But don't worry: You'll get used to it
if you try to.

> Peter Jon White

Have a happy day anyway! HTH
Hubert
* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/