Subject: Re: Carrier for V35
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:47:55 +0100

Excuse me if this has been posted before. My message came back due to
the fact that I just replied to the original message without removing the CC-line.

>   LUGs,

>   I have one of the early Focomat V35 enlargers. Recently, I noticed that the
>   carrier on a newer unit has glass with anti-Newton surface in it. There is
>   glass on the bottom and top of the negative. My carrier has glass only above
>   the negative.

>   Is there any advantage to the new carrier? I was told that it may enable me
>   to print at larger f numbers. Advice will be appreciated.

>   Best of Light,

>   Chris

Chris,
your carrier with only glass on the top is the standard carrier. The other is
available as an extra. Since I use the carrier of the type you own I have less
problems with dust.
I have checked the difference between focusing distances on the center and at the edge,
and there is none I could see with bare eyes. Leica sais that the Focotar
2.8/40 has its best performance 'already' at f5.6 and, of course, they recommend to stop
it down at least that far. I personally have in the darkroom no problems with
longer exposures as long as the result is convincing, but I dont do extreme
enlargements which would require exposure times of several minutes.

christoph