Subject: Re: About M4 Cameras
From: Lucien <100774.527@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 16 Feb 97 15:57:55 EST

>Can anyone either confirm or scotch this story? I heard that when Leica
>discontinued the M4 there was such a firestorm of protest (from p-js, it
>was said) that Leitz "built up a few black M4s from spare (repair?) parts
>and sent them out."

>If this is true, does anyone have the numbers of these post-discontinuance
>cameras? Do they have special collector value?

Leitz Germany stopped the M4 chrom in 1971 (but not the MDA) because of the M5
and  a production line was build in canada for the KE-7 (M4 for the US ARMY)
Because of the demand in the US say the legend and because that the M5 was not
so successful:
"In 1974 and 75 Leitz Canada have made around 4.5OO black chrome M4 (the black
chrome of the M5, CL and Leicaflex SL), part of them marked "Leitz Wetzlar" the
others marked "Leitz Midland Canada".
From the 1975 batch, some M4 both Wetzlar and Midland have been engraved
specially for the fiftieth anniversary.
Then at the next photokina a prototype of the M4-2 was issued, but not put on
sale immediately" etc...

Sorry about my english folks..