Subject: Re: Pin Hole Leica
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:53:59 -0500

>D Khong wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I hear that there are pin hole adapters which can be fitted onto a leica SM
>> or M body and this can produce pin hole pics with the usual long exposures
>> required.
>>
>> Anybody got any leads or experience?
>>
>> Dan Khong
>Dan:
>Did this once with a metal body cap.  Get the smallest drill bit you
>can.  Center the drill on the cap and drill a hole.  It is important to
>clean the edges of the hole with a fine emery cloth.  If you don't have
>a drill you can twirl the bit between your fingers until it makes the
>hole, but this takes some time.  Results are about what you would expect
>from a pinhole camera.

I used to start my photo students with building a pinhole. We used brass
foil and drilled it with tiny, tiny bits fitted into a Dremel tool with a
pin-vise. Sand front and back and then (very important!) blacken the hole
on both sides and inside with a candle. Don't let soot clog up hole. Makes
great long-focus pictures on paper or film.

- -Robert